Most members will build up their savings through regular contributions from their pay. Your KiwiSaver savings are made up of contributions to your account, plus or minus investment returns, minus any withdrawals, fees and taxes.
1. Contributions (yours, your employers and matching government) are paid to your KiwiSaver provider, and are invested in the funds of your choice.
2. Add or subtract your investment returns, which can go up or down over time.
3. Subtract any withdrawals (like the first home withdrawal), fees and taxes.
4. You are left with your retirement savings fund.
Most people become eligible to withdraw the money from their fund when they qualify for NZ Super (currently 65).
What are the benefits?
- A member tax credit of up to $521.43 per year
- Employer contributions of at least 3% of your gross salary or wage
- First Home Buyers subsidy (Housing New Zealand)
- First Home Buyers withdrawal (access to your contributions and your employer’s contribution)
How much do I pay?
Members who are employed, will contribute at a rate of 3% (minimum), 4% or 8% of their salary. Members who are self-employed i.e. who do not have PAYE instalments or non-employed can choose how much and how often they contribute.
After you have been a KiwiSaver member for 12 months, you can apply to go on a contributions holiday. If you choose to do this you are no longer entitled to the compulsory employer contribution.
How do I join?
New employees are automatically enrolled in KiwiSaver by their employer and have up to eight weeks to opt-out. Existing employees can opt-in to KiwiSaver at any time through their employer or by signing up with a KiwiSaver provider directly. People who are self-employed or non-employed can join KiwiSaver by signing up with a provider directly.
How do I access my funds?
You may access your KiwiSaver retirement savings when you reach the eligibility age for New Zealand Superannuation (currently age 65) or once you have been in KiwiSaver for five years if you join after turning 60.
With so many different options for KiwiSaver out there, it can be daunting trying to figure out which provider and fund type is right for you. We can provide you with advice on what type of KiwiSaver fund and provider is right for you.
We work with and provide advice on a number of different KiwiSaver providers. We provide KiwiSaver advice that is in your best interests, and not in the interests of the bank down the road!
We advise both business and personal clients. Please email us on the form below or give us a call on 09 419 5440 if you require further information or would like to make an appointment with a financial adviser.
A disclosure document is available, on request and free of charge.